Stainless Steel Sippys...which one to choose? They are safer than plastic - why? Because dangerous chemicals are used in the making of many plastics. These can leach into the beverage your child (and you!) are drinking. The same sort of thing can happen with Aluminum water bottles (even though they usually have a protective coating, that can wear down with use and cleaning). So go with a stainless steel sippy! Stainless steel does not interact with food or liquid. It is non-leaching and won't change the flavor of the contained beverage.
These are the brands of stainless sippys I know of: Foogo by Thermos, Safe Sippy, Klean Kanteen & Innate Me-Me & Me-Me Gripper. We own the Foogo and we love it! I chose the Foogo because it comes with handles - we bought it when Jimmy was about 6 months old, so he needed something easy to hold onto. It is also available at Target and I didn't have to pay shipping or wait for it in the mail. We haven't had any problems with it, it is everything I wanted. It has a cute design, handles, scratch resistant bottom, keeps beverages cold for up to 6 hours (I can attest to that!). The spout is pretty easy to put together and clean. The lid does have 4 pieces, but I have not found it troublesome and I knew it did when I bought it. Jimmy has no problem holding onto it and figured out how to use it pretty quickly.
I did not choose the Safe Sippy (it has handles) because at the time, I could not find them in stock anywhere and I didn't want to wait. I also read a few reviews (just google "stainless sippy review" etc. and do some homework, check out safemama.com, or go here for a video review of the Foogo) and that helped me in my decision. I will probably buy a Klean Kanteen at some point when Jimmy gets a little older and can hold onto it better since it doesn't have handles. Also, I want to get a colored one and he is still chewing on things, so it is not advised to get a colored one until they are past that stage, incase they were to chip some paint (which is safe, but who wants their baby eating paint even so??). A plus for the Klean Kanteen: They have a special adapter that works with Avent's sippy cup spout so if you started with one of those, you can switch them out.
Features of the Foogo:
- $15.99 USD
- Comes with pink or blue accents
- TherMax® double wall vacuum insulation for maximum cold temperature retention
- Spill-proof valve prevents messes and is easy-to-clean
- Soft spout is easy and comfortable to sip
- Kid-proof design - unbreakable stainless steel interior and exterior withstands daily wear and tear
- Dishwasher safe
- Exterior stays condensation free
- Non-slip, scratch resistant base
- Keeps beverages cold for up to 6 hours - for cold contents only
- •The vacuum-insulated stainless steel interior and exterior is non-reactive to all food and beverages
•The soft drinking spout is made from “food contact safe” Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE)
•The valve plate and lid are made from polypropylene (PP#5)
•All materials are FDA approved
•All plastics used for Thermos Foogo products are BPA free
- Volume: 7oz.
- Weight: 0.7lbs
- Dimensions: 3.3" L x 7.3" W x 10" H
Features of the Klean Kanteen:
- $17.95 USD for plain stainless or 19.95 USD for color (discount for 2 on their website)
- Many colors or plain stainles available
- BPA-free & eco-friendly
- slim design fits most bottle/cup holders
- accommodates large ice cubes
- polypropylene #5 sippy, loop, flat or sport cap
- capacity: 12 fluid ounces (355 ml)
- weight: 4 ounces
- size: 5” H (w/o cap) x 2.75” W
- opening diameter: 1.75" (44 mm)
- high-quality, food-grade, #304 stainless steel
- reusable & 100% recyclable
Features of the Safe Sippy (I couldn't find a good spec list):
- $16.95 USD
- No-spill spout
- 11 ounces/330 ml
- Dishwasher safe
- Easy Grip sleeve
- Clean, non-leaching stainless steel
- Comes in pink, blue or green
And the Innate Me-Me & Me-Me Gripper (this is the most recent one I have found, I really don't know much about it!)
- $17.00 CAD (could only find Canadian price, though they are sold in stores in the US)
- Ergonomically shaped, easy-sip, spill resistant spout with inner silicone valve to control flow rate.
- Easy to hold handle and silicone lid valve are removable for cleaning.
- Components include: premium type 304, 18/8 stainless steel and #5 food grade polypropylene.
- Independently tested to US FDA, European Norm and California Prop. 65 food container standards.
- Lid is interchangeable with other Innate styles.
- Comes with pastel pink, blue or green accents
- Capacity: 220 ml (7.5 fl oz) — Weight: 160g (5.5oz )
I hope this info helps! I wish I could try them all and give them a real review, but I don't really have the money for that =) Happy shopping!